Tauranga Rowing Club - History
Tauranga Rowing Club History
1918 A meeting was held to discuss the formation of a rowing club in Tauranga
1919 The Tauranga Rowing Club was founded.
A shed on the foreshore was leased for a period of three years with a rental of 8 shillings per week for the first year, 6 shillings thereafter. Taps were installed, the flag raised and subs set at £ 1-1/0d (10/6d for juniors and 5/1 for ladies). April 3rd 1919 was opening day. £40 was paid for three pair oar stumps.
1920 We affiliated with ARA for 1920 -21 season.
Our original colours were navy and white. In 1925 we changed to the maroon and gold still in use today.
1921 £200 was paid for three fours.
192 Tauranga, Whakatane and Opotiki Clubs competed in a race which Tauranga won.
First price was a new four !
1923 New boat shed between 1st Avenue and Elizabeth Street.
1924 School races started.
1929 Won the NZ Championship 8’s.
Won first “red coat” – Bill Turner in Champion singles
1930 Bill Turner did it again !
1931 And again !. With Charlie Haua a “read coat” in the double sculls too.
1998 NZ Champs – Junior 8 1st and 2nd. Junior 4 1st; Junior pair 2nd, 3rd and 4th.